Have you considered liposuction to help achieve your body goals but are concerned about general anesthesia risks? Dr. Obaid Chaudhry received specialized training in Awake Liposuction Surgery during his advanced Aesthetic Plastic Surgery fellowship and now offers Awake Liposuction at Be That Beautiful™ Plastic Surgery in Beverly Hills, CA.
What Is Awake Liposuction?
As the name suggests, this type of liposuction is performed while the patient is awake and alert rather than under general anesthesia. This is not a new medical concept; many surgical procedures are routinely performed under local anesthesia, including vasectomies, mole removals and wisdom tooth extractions.
The same concept is applied to liposuction. Dr. OC numbs the areas targeted for fat removal so you remain comfortable but awake throughout the procedure. He may also administer some light sedation for additional comfort.
Benefits of Awake Liposuction
Should you consider awake liposuction? Here are some key reasons why it may be perfect for you.
- No general anesthesia risks: While general anesthesia is generally safe, there is always a small risk of complications. By avoiding general anesthesia, awake liposuction eliminates this risk.
- Can safely return home sooner after surgery: Recovery time is often shorter with awake liposuction, which means you can return home sooner and return to your normal routine faster.
- Can communicate with your surgeon during surgery: Being awake during the procedure allows you to communicate with your surgeon if you experience discomfort or have concerns.
- Promotes a quicker, more comfortable recovery: Without the need for general anesthesia, the recovery process can be smoother and more comfortable. Patients often report less pain and less postoperative nausea.
- No pain during surgery: While you may feel some pressure or movement during the procedure, awake liposuction is typically painless. Dr. OC uses local anesthesia to numb the treated area so you won’t experience any pain or discomfort.
- More precise results: Awake liposuction allows Dr. OC to target the areas more precisely being treated, which can result in a more sculpted and natural-looking outcome.
In addition to these benefits, awake liposuction is generally considered a safe and effective option for patients who are good candidates. However, it’s important to note that not everyone will be a candidate for awake liposuction. Dr. OC will evaluate your medical history and current health status to determine if it’s a safe and appropriate option for you. It is typically best for those needing minimal to medium fat removal. More extensive needs will require liposuction under general anesthesia.
If you’re considering liposuction and want a safer, more comfortable and precise option, awake liposuction may be the right choice. Contact Be That Beautiful™ Plastic Surgery in Beverly Hills and schedule a consultation to discuss your options with board-certified plastic surgeon Dr. Obaid Chaudhry. He is pleased to answer your questions, explain the procedure and its benefits and help you make an informed decision based on your unique needs and goals.